Head lice are insects that are wingless, tiny, and parasitic that reside in human hair. It is a common problem that can become highly contagious. It can become quite difficult to get rid of if it is not treated in the early stages. Lice lay eggs that are known as nits. It is important to visit lice doctors in Indianapolis so that the issue of lice does not become grave.
Treatment for lice in hairs:
There are several shampoos and other over the counter medicines that are available to treat head lice.
These OTC medicines contain permethrin 1 percent or pyrethrins. This chemical compound is usually effective, but in some areas, there is a huge resistance that is developed in lice for these products.
In that case, you can try out other products that are used for treating head lice. Following products are approved by the FDA, but you should still consult lice doctors in Indianapolis before you use them.
- permethrin cream (1%)
- the product that has a pyrethrin base
- malathion lotion (0.5%)
- a lotion containing benzyl alcohol (5%)
- suspension of spinosad topical (0.9%)
- ivermectin lotion (0.5%)
you won’t usually require a prescription for these OTC medicines and these are termed as pediculicides.
How to use head lice products safely:
- After you apply and rinse the product from your scalp and hair, comb your hair using a nit comb or a fine-toothed comb to remove the nits and lice that are dead.
- Apply the product to your scalp and hair only and not on body hair.
- Consult a lice doctors in Indianapolis, about the recommended treatment for your child according to his weight and age.
- Follow label instructions strictly or use as directed by the physician.
- For children, adult supervision is a must.
If lice are found in the head of one person, then all other household members should also be checked for lice.